Friday, November 6, 2009

Extreme Mommy Makeover - Brain Edition

So apparently my ability to maintain organization spans the time of about one year.  At that point, my organization seems to expire and I have to reboot.  Right before Daniel was born (he is now 14 months old), I had my life 100% in order.  EVERY room of the house was clean and organized (oh wait, the garage has never been clean and organized, but we're not going to officially count that, thank you very much).  Over the last 15 months that cleanliness has very slowly, almost sneakily, been disintegrating before my very eyes.  Now, after nearly a month of battling lingering (minor) illnesses, we have reached the point where a major overhaul is no longer optional.  We have reached non-functional status, and something has to change!

For almost two years now I have been wanting to put together some kind of binder to organize all aspects of my life, and provide me with a plan to keep it that way.  After some research, I've found that these are quite common amongst homemakers -- especially those who homeschool their children.  With FlyLady they call it a "Control Journal."  I've also heard it called a "Home Management Binder", "A Homekeeping Journal," and a "Household Organizer", among other things.  All of these names lacked something for me, though.  Control Journal sounded too, well, controlling; and the other names I found just felt too business-like for me.  While being a wife and mommy is my business, it's so much more than that.  I thought about sweet titles like "The Helpmeet's Helper" or "The HomeKeeper's Heart".  These, however, also fell short in conveying what I need.  I don't neep help; I need a whole lot more than a little help (unless we're talking psychological help -- that I probably do need!).  I also don't need more heart -- my heart is completely wrapped up in all I do.  No, heart is absolutely not the problem.  So, at long last, I came up with something that fits.

I have decided that I will call my binder "Mommy's Brain."  Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? 

You see, here is my thinking:  I've lost my ability to think.  Being pregnant and/or nursing literally non-stop for the last 5 years has turned my brain to mush.  I need a brain transplant, and since that medical technology is not available yet, I figure a supplemental brain on paper is going to have to be the next best thing.

My plan is to make the binder the brain of our home.  It will have the master plan for all things that fall under my realm of responsibility (which sometimes feels like everything in the world).  It will have meal plans, lesson plans, cleaning schedules, grocery lists, bills, stamps, medical information, phone numbers, memory verses, prayer requests, emergency contact information, kids' daily schedules, lists for gifts given/received, etc. etc.  You have a question about our home? The Brain will know the answer.

Beyond just the organizational plan that I hope this will bring, there are two other benefits that I believe might come from this. 

The first is that, by putting the tedius and mundane tasks that occupy most of my brain down on paper, perhaps I can clear some space in between my ears for more pleasant thoughts.  If I can hit the "delete" button on my brain as far as the little things go, I might have room for some real, deep, grown-up thoughts! Maybe I can even read a book without simultaneously trying to recall what items were on that grocery list that my son just used to shred up as feed for his plush horse... 

The second benefit that I foresee would be that my husband will now be able to actually look inside of my brain.  When I have a baby, get sick, or just need a little extra help, he can open up the pages of my brain and be able to see what needs to be done -- without waking me up or asking me a million questions or requiring me to walk right beside him.  God bless the man, he is one heck of a husband and daddy!  But he has no brain for household goings-on.  Many times I have wished that I could just download my brain into his so that when he does try to help me he can actually do it the "right" way (i.e.: my way).  This will not only lessen my stress, but his, as well!  He's told me that one of the reasons he doesn't help out with housework is because he has no idea how to and it intimidates him.  Well, what's mine is yours, babe -- and that now can include my brain!

I found a few web pages to get me started with some ideas and want to pass them on in case anybody else is needing to create a supplemental brain for their home.  Here are some different blogs and resource pages I found with great ideas:
I hope to be able to post pictures later once I progress a little further with this project.  If anyone out in internet land has already made a binder, or has any great tips or pictures, please do share them!

Until next time, Happy Homekeeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment