Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Speedy Chicken Casserole

I am going out with a girlfriend tonight, which means the hubby will be responsible for all of our crew (except the one who travels with me in utero, of course).  I am aiming to have everyone fed, bathed, and in bed before he even gets home so that he can just relax after work and not have to stress out over the bedtime routine.  That means I needed a QUICK dinner, preferably with as many healthy food groups in it as possible.  Hence, the invention of Speedy Chicken Casserole!  I took some things I had readily available in our pantry and fridge, and prayed it didn't taste like dirt.  As I write to you now, the kids are chowing down like no tomorrow, and they have informed me that I'm the "best cooker ever in the whole world!" (by the way, I could make them Eggo waffles and they would say this, so don't read too much into it!).  I'm going to share the recipe, less because I think everyone needs to make it and more because I want those who are scared to experiment to see that it really can be as easy as thinking about foods you like and throwing them in a dish!

Speedy Chicken Casserole
Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
1 package of chicken flavored long grain wild rice, cooked
1 can mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
1 can sweet peas
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a cheddar/jack)
salt & pepper to taste

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Mix all ingredients together (remember, chicken and rice must have been cooked in advance) in a large bowl.  Spread into a 11x13" casserole dish.  Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

There you go!  Oh, and before I go starts baths, let me quickly encourage you to check out http://www.allrecipes.com/.  This is a great website for getting recipes or even just ideas to get you started on creating your own recipes!  You can also upload recipes that you love for others to try and comment about.  It's a wealth of cooking information!

Alrighty, I'm out....I hear squealing when there should only be chewing....

No comments:

Post a Comment